Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Why Bother With Breakfast?

Feeling somber today as I did not get kiss from my daughter before catching the school bus. I laid a new rule of waking them up early whenever they won't finish their previous day breakfast. So, according to the plan, I woke them up at 6:15A.M., made them ready, gave them milk, boiled an egg for breakfast and packed grilled chicken sandwich.

In between, gave kids few instructions like getting matching head bands, socks but both... just gave me a deaf ear.

My wish got fulfilled and I'm happy that they had their breakfast but had to rush to catch the school bus which is like seven minutes away from home. On the way, I noticed that she did not comb her hair or did not get a band to tie her hair. I had to scold her so much. That was the reason, I guess, she did not feel like kissing me or she was in a rush to catch the school bus which already was waiting and all the kids already boarded the bus.  Once the same scenario happened but she gave a quick kiss and left. So, today I feel for it. Wish I had slight control on my temper, til now, I would have got my little girls kiss.

Anyway, I told them my new rule. Won't finish breakfast, you will be waking up fifteen minutes early and the day you finish the breakfast, the next day, you get an extra fifteen minutes of sleep. I'm trying to teach them the importance of eating breakfast.

According to KidsHealth:

Why Bother With Breakfast?

Breakfast is a great way to give the body the refueling it needs. Kids who eat breakfast tend to eat healthier overall and are more likely to participate in physical activities — two great ways to help maintain a healthy weight.

Skipping breakfast can make kids feel tired, restless, or irritable. In the morning, their bodies need to refuel for the day ahead after going without food for 8 to 12 hours during sleep. Their mood and energy can drop by midmorning if they don't eat at least a small morning meal.

Breakfast also can help keep kids' weight in check. Breakfast kick-starts the body's metabolism, the process by which the body converts the fuel in food to energy. And when the metabolism gets moving, the body starts burning calories.

Also, people who don't eat breakfast often consume more calories throughout the day and are more likely to be overweight. That's because someone who skips breakfast is likely to get famished before lunchtime and snack on high-calorie foods or overeat at lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment